Investigative journalist and New York Times bestselling author Nina Teicholz is our special interview guest today in Episode 823 of “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show.”
After being away from the podcast since late October 2013, our host Jimmy Moore is finally back where he belongs behind the microphone of the longest-running health podcast on the Internet today. While he’s been away writing on his next book Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet set to release on August 5, 2014, we’ve been sharing so many amazing guest hosts and LLVLC Show Classic episodes for you to enjoy. But Jimmy is eager to get back to sharing some incredible new interviews with you featuring the top nutrition, health and fitness experts in the world. And with his return today, he comes back with a bang!
Today’s interview guest is an investigative journalist named Nina Teicholz who has written columns for Gourmet magazine, The New Yorker, The Economist, The New York Times, and The Washington Post. After being asked by a publisher to write a book about the health impact of trans fats over a decade ago, Teicholz found a much deeper story that was more salacious and groundbreaking than even she realized at the time–the negative attention saturated fat receives as a culprit in disease was just plain wrong and the unfounded low-fat diet advice has been the most disastrous public health experiment in world history. The culmination of over a decade of research and writing has resulted in the release of her 2014 book The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet that has already hit the New York Times bestsellers list.
Listen in to hear Jimmy and Nina discuss why we’ve never heard of her before now, the differences between her book and Gary Taubes’ classic Good Calories, Bad Calories, the history behind how the American Heart Association bought into the anti-saturated fat bias of Ancel Keys, how the anti-sugar work of John Yudkin was mocked and ridiculed by anti-fat proponents, the fraudulent way the Mediterranean diet was created (by Keys) and marketed as “healthy,” how the vilification of tropical oils like coconut oil actually led to the increased use of trans fats, how groups like the Center for the Science in the Public Interest led by Michal Jacobson have had such an influence with good and bad results, the problem with omega-6-rich polyunsaturated fats from vegetable oils producing oxidation products when heated, and so much more! This new book from Nina Teicholz takes the message of Taubes to the next level in a narrative form that makes the notion of a high-fat diet more mainstream that it’s ever been before. The tide is turning and this book is going to be a big reason why. Jimmy’s back and better than ever!
Get $5 Off With Coupon Code: ILOVESKINNYFAT
NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: http://cmp.ly/3
NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: http://cmp.ly/3
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 823
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Check out ILoveSkinnyFat.com (Use $5 Off Coupon Code: ILOVESKINNYFAT)
- SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Glycosolve with berberine and banaba leaf (Use 10% Off Coupon Code: THANKYOU)
- Nina Teicholz bio
- The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
- Jimmy Moore’s review of The Big Fat Surprise
- The Big Fat Surprise official website
- Nina on Twitter
- The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease
- VIDEO: ‘The Big Fat Surprise’ Rocks the Health Food World on “Good Morning America”
- VIDEO: Nina Teicholz at TEDxEast: The Big Fat Surprise
- RELATED PODCAST: The LLVLC Show #139: An Interview With ‘Good Calories Bad Calories’ Author Gary Taubes (Part 1) and 140: An Interview With ‘Good Calories Bad Calories’ Author Gary Taubes (Part 2)