515: Naturopathic Physician Dr. Lauren Noel And ‘Low-Carbing Among Friends’ Creators Ian & Jennifer Eloff


file size: 38mb

Today naturopathic physician Dr. Lauren Noel and Low-Carbing Among Friends authors Ian and Jennifer Eloff join us for Episode 515 of The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show with Jimmy Moore!

Dr. Noel is a young medical professional who knew early on that there was more to treating patients than prescribing them some risky medication that very likely would only mask the symptoms rather than heal the underlying problem. That’s why she decided to enter into the field of naturopathic medicine to learn how nutrition and supplements can help patients overcome a whole myriad of chronic health issues. She also helps spread the word through a popular web site and online radio show with her infectious personality.

We also welcome back to the show a returning guest named Jennifer Eloff who brings along her husband Ian today to talk about a brand new series of low-carb cookbooks called Low-Carbing Among Friends. Listen to them discuss why they decided to do this concept, how it has already been a tremendous success even before the first book in the series released this week, the two more editions coming in 2012, and the famous low-carb luminaries who have signed on to be a part of it all. It was a fun conversation that you’re sure to enjoy!

Special thanks to our sponsors: Quest Bars and Paleo Plan (use coupon code “LLVLC” to get a special discount)!

– Support our sponsor: Low-Carb Quest Protein Bars
– Support our brand new sponsor: Paleo Plan (use coupon code “LLVLC” for a special exclusive discount for our listeners)
Dr. Lauren Noel bio
Dr. Noel’s Naturopathic Doctor web site
The Dr. Lo Radio Show
Dr. Lauren Noel’s blog
Jennifer Eloff bio
Why Ian and Jennifer created Low-Carbing Among Friends
– RELATED PODCAST: 417: Jennifer Eloff Makes Splendid Low-Carbing In The Kitchen Easy

One Response to 515: Naturopathic Physician Dr. Lauren Noel And ‘Low-Carbing Among Friends’ Creators Ian & Jennifer Eloff
  1. Anonymous
    November 15, 2011 | 1:22 pm

    I just wanted to mention something.  I have Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.  I listened to Lauren’s interview and found it very interesting and although I think it is possible that leaky gut and gluten can cause Hashi’s, I have to wonder if it was the primary cause in my particular case.  I went on a small dose of doxycycline to address inflammation in my body after discovering that my CRP levels were a bit high (often the case when one has an autoimmune disease due to the high level of antibodies, I imagine).  Something miraculous happened.  I started getting extremely hot and hyper  and had to keep reducing my thyroid hormone until I was on a very tiny dose of natural thyroid hormone.  Puzzled, we did some research and found this on thyroid patient advocate’s site, Mary Shomon: http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/brownstein.htm

    It would appear than in 70% of Hashi’s patients there is an infectious component – namely, a mycoplasma infection.  This would explain why I continue to remain well on a tiny dose of doxycyline each day.  It is completely possible that the remaining 30% of people with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis have leaky gut and gluten in their bloodstream that the body is attacking and because it maybe resembles something to do with the thyroid, the thyroid also gets attacked in the process. It seems that was the case for Dr. Lauren Noel.  However, in the case of a mycoplasma infection, doxycycline (not a true antibiotic) will not cure Hashi’s but it keeps the mycoplasma from reproducing too much – thus keeping the problem down to a dull roar.  However, I have since heard that erizthromycin (sp?) can actually get rid of mycoplasmas.  I’m trying to get my gut as healthy as possible before trying something so potent though.  I cannot say yet whether it will be successful but I am very, very curious about this.

    At any rate, these days I am gluten-free as well as low-carb and sugar-free which I have been since 1999 (with some cheat meals every now and then) – can’t hurt after listening to Dr. Noel.  Very interesting interview about intestinal health and her own personal experiences as well.  Thanks for sharing, Jimmy.

  • RSS
  • Newsletter
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • YouTube