Investigative journalist and New York Times bestselling author Nina Teicholz is our guest today in Episode 1310 of “The Livin’ La Vida Low-Carb Show.”
Every five years, the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) convenes a panel of experts on nutrition and health called the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee to determine the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. But for investigative journalist Nina Teicholz, author of the New York Times bestselling book The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat, and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet, she’s concerned that that general public is not being told about the incremental move towards a vegan diet.
Today’s interview guest is an investigative journalist named Nina Teicholz who has written columns for Gourmet magazine, The New Yorker, The Economist, The New York Times, and The Washington Post. After being asked by a publisher to write a book about the health impact of trans fats over a decade ago, Teicholz found a much deeper story that was more salacious and groundbreaking than even she realized at the time–the negative attention saturated fat receives as a culprit in disease was just plain wrong and the unfounded low-fat diet advice has been the most disastrous public health experiment in world history. The culmination of over a decade of research and writing has resulted in the release of her 2014 book The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet that has already hit the New York Times bestsellers list.
Listen in to hear Jimmy and Nina discuss the latest disturbing developments with the Dietary Guidelines, the differences between her book and Gary Taubes’ classic Good Calories, Bad Calories, the history behind how the American Heart Association bought into the anti-saturated fat bias of Ancel Keys, how the anti-sugar work of John Yudkin was mocked and ridiculed by anti-fat proponents, the fraudulent way the Mediterranean diet was created (by Keys) and marketed as “healthy,” how the vilification of tropical oils like coconut oil actually led to the increased use of trans fats, how groups like the Center for the Science in the Public Interest led by Michal Jacobson have had such an influence with good and bad results, the problem with omega-6-rich polyunsaturated fats from vegetable oils producing oxidation products when heated, and so much more! This new book from Nina Teicholz takes the message of Taubes to the next level in a narrative form that makes the notion of a high-fat diet more mainstream that it’s ever been before. The tide is turning and this book is going to be a big reason why.
GET YOUR $39 BOTTLE FOR JUST $1
NOTICE OF DISCLOSURE: Paid sponsorship
LINKS MENTIONED IN EPISODE 1310
– SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Organic brands you love for less at thrivemarket.com/keto
– JIMMY AND DR. ADAM NALLY’S NEW SUPPLEMENT LINE: Try the KetoEssentials Multivitamin and Berberine Plus ketogenic-enhancing supplements
– SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: The world’s freshest and most flavorful artisanal olive oils. Get your $39 bottle for just $1
– SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR: Love your tummy with Atrantil. (Get 15% off with the coupon code “JIMMY”)
– Nina Teicholz bio
– The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
– Jimmy Moore’s review of The Big Fat Surprise
– The Big Fat Surprise official website
– Nina on Twitter
– The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease
– VIDEO: ‘The Big Fat Surprise’ Rocks the Health Food World on “Good Morning America”
– VIDEO: Nina Teicholz at TEDxEast: The Big Fat Surprise